The youth are what make our programs possible. They are also why we offer our programming.
At Chinatown Youth Initiatives, we do not only believe that today’s youth are the leaders of tomorrow, but that they can be the leaders of today. All of our programs are youth-run and youth-lead, which means our youth leaders take the initiative to develop new programs, run workshops and activities, and design curriculum.
Current Youth Leaders: 2017-18
Chinatown Literacy Project 2017-2018
- Claire Récamier, Coordinator
- Florence Li, Coordinator
- Kelly Wei, Coordinator
William Guo, Coordinator
Chinatown Beautification Day 2017
- Jackie Tung, Coordinator — Jackie Tung was an 20th century CBD member born on March 13,1998. At the age of 19 he currently attends Albany and excels at making memes for the general public (facebook).
- Jennifer Chiao, Coordinator — Born and raised in New York, Jennifer has the privilege to call Chinatown her home. During high school, she participated in Chinatown Beautification Day 2015. She is passionate about education equity, fighting against gentrification, traveling, dancing, and Cuban food. Jennifer currently studies sociology at Boston College.
- Debbie, Coordinator — Debbie is a sophomore at Binghamton University’s School of Management. She is passionate about the changing landscape of her home and is always striving to further her understanding of her heritage. She was the fundraising coordinator for CBD 2015, and is excited to be part of the team for CBD 2017!
Summer Leadership Institute 2017
- Linda Luu, Coordinator
- Evelyn Mau, Facilitator
- Nibras Karim, Facilitator
- Lisa Ng, Facilitator
Chinatown Youth Initiatives would not be possible without the help of our volunteer program advisors. Advisors take on a host of challenges, from providing guidance to our youth, advising to our programming, and teaching ESL classes, to supporting CYI in its long-term development, and keeping in touch with our alumni, each and every one of our volunteers is a valued member of our community.
If you would like to get involved with CYI, please e-mail us at email@example.com!
Current Program Advisors
David Ye, Chinatown Beautification Day and Youth Conference Advisor
David Ye is one of the Co-Advisors for Chinatown Beautification day 2017. He is a self-proclaimed nerd of the multiverse and a sports enthusiast. His one true philosophy to live by : Ball is Life.
Steven Huang, Chinatown Beautification Day and Youth Conference Advisor
Steven Huang, aka Skynet is one of the co-advisors for Chinatown Beautification Day 2017. He can usually be found crunching numbers in front of a computer or crunching weights at the gym.
Jenny Ye, Chinatown Literacy Project Advisor
A lifelong Chinatown resident, Jenny joined CYI in 2005 as a language partner in the Chinatown Literacy Project and continued as a participant and facilitator for the Summer Leadership Institute. She studied computer science and ethnic studies at Harvard College and is a producer on the Data News Team at WNYC. She tweets @thepapaya.
Sonora Yun, Summer Leadership Institute Advisor
Sonora has been deeply involved in youth programming in various community settings since 2010. She studied anthropology and psychology at Grinnell College and is currently the Youth Services Coordinator at Teen Resource Center. Follow her on instagram @sonora.yun